Every day an enterprising woman is born. Gone are the days where men were the leaders of the boards of directors and we have entered an era where women have become a benchmark when it comes to entrepreneurship and innovation. If we look back in time, we can find women who, despite the context and typical restrictions of their time, managed to stand out, leaving a significant mark and an example of inspiration for future generations.
For example, in the 16th century, Gracia Nasi or “The Lady” as she was known, became an important banker and businesswoman in the spice and gemstone business. In the following century, Isabel María Schiaffino – whose family was engaged in foreign trade, was an entrepreneur dedicated to the sugar and livestock business. In the 20th century, we can find Sarah Breedlove – Madam C.J. Walker, who became the first millionaire African-American woman in the United States, thanks to her hairdressing and beauty products business. Other women of reference of this century are Gabriel (Coco) Chanel, Elizabeth Arden, Estée Lauder and Helen Gurley Brown (journalist and editor of “Cosmopolitan”).
Top 1O female entrepreneurs
Although the world of cosmetics and fashion are fields influenced by women, its scope is not limited to them since at present, they have managed to cover and leave their mark in different industries such as pharmaceuticals, real estate, entertainment and technology. Here is a list of the 10 women entrepreneurs around the world:
- Beatriz González (Spain): is the founder and managing partner of Seaya Ventures, a capital fund that invests in technology companies in a state of growth in Europe and Latin America.
- Whitney Wolfe Herd (United States): Co-founder and CEO of Bumble, an application to meet people online.
- Sally Buberman (Argentina): She is Co-founder of WormholeIT- software development company for the creation of educational platforms and video conferences and mentor of Wayra Argentina to promote learning in Latin America.
- Katia Beauchamp (United States): Co-founder of Birchbox, a company that offers subscription service that gives its members a box with selected samples of beauty products.
- Melanie Perkins (Australia): Melanie is the co-founder and CEO of Canva, a graphic design web platform with millions of available templates and easy editing.
- Julia Hartz (United States): Hartz is an entrepreneur who co-created and currently runs Eventbrite, an online platform for the promotion, management and sale of event tickets.
- Ankiti Bose (India): Zilingo is an e-commerce startup that serves as a platform for digitizing fashion businesses and selling them online. Kadakia is its co-founder along with Dhruv Kapoor.
- Adi Tatarko (United States): CEO and co-founder of Houzz, a company considered unicorn, brings together property owners with the best renovation, design, decoration and landscaping professionals in the sector-
- Andrea Barber (Spain): She is the founder and CEO of Rated Power, a startup that develops software for the design of mass sole plants in a short time and at low cost.
- Oprah Winfrey (United States): Worldwide known and one of the most important influences, she is a television presenter – The Oprah Winfrey show is the ams seen in the history of the United States, owner of a production company (Harpo Productions), and also develops as a writer, actress and philanthropist.
As we can see, women increasingly dominate the business world. From beauty to technology, there are no longer limits for a woman wanting to undertake and excel. Each one has a story to tell and its experiences should serve as a source of motivation for future generations.
At South Summit, we are proud to serve as a platform for hundreds of women each year to present their projects and tell us about their journey to become important women entrepreneurs.